Led by Public Allies of Wisconsin – Water Justice Cohort and Nearby Nature MKE, an effort is building to significantly grow the number of volunteers that come out for the Riverkeeper Annual Spring Cleanup along Lincoln Creek. Please join us for the cleanup on Saturday, April 22nd 2023 from 9am to 12 noon. Here is the link to sign-up now.
In 2017, the same year the Nearby Nature project was formed, the Sierra Club Great Waters Group adopted the section of Lincoln Creek now referred to as Hopkins Hollow, an area from 35th and Congress, north to Hampton Ave. At that time, there was only one other adopter along Lincoln Creek. Now, the number of sites for the Riverkeeper Spring Cleanup has grown to TWELVE!
The Public Allies team has created a newsletter that is being distributed to communities along the creek. You can view or download a copy at this link. Between now and April 22nd, we are reaching out to all our friends and partners to ask for your support. Our Public Allies Team Service Project (TSP) members will be canvassing neighborhoods along the creek. Like Nearby Nature, Public Allies of Wisconsin get significant support from the Fund for Lake Michigan, for the Water Justice Cohort. Members of the cohort are assigned to agencies and work projects that focus on clean water and environmental justice.
Where is the Lincoln Creek Greenway?
The Lincoln Creek Greenway includes these neighborhoods
• Silver Spring • Lincoln Creek
• Hampton Heights • Garden Homes
• Wahl Park • Lincoln Park
Milwaukee Riverkeeper cares forMilwaukee’s rivers and sponsors the annual springcleanup across Milwaukee! In the lincoln Creek Greenway we have 12 clean up sites you can join. You can use this link to sign-up now: www.bit.ly/LincolnClean23
Why we should clean the Creek?
1. Cleaning up trash keeps our waters healthy and fishable. Even small bits of trosh hurts our fish and wildlife.
2. Trash and plastic break down and enter our drinking water. Containing trash keeps our waters clean for drinking
3. Illegal dumping and loose trash attracts more trash and more dumping if it is not cleaned up.
4. Trash degrades the pride people take in our neighborhoods.
5. Picking up trash provides an example for others to do likewise and helps our youth see
that small actions make a difference.
Milwaukee Riverkeeper® Spring Clean-up – Saturday, April 22nd, 2023, 9 am -12 noon